Thursday 23 February 2012

I say, write what feels right and go with it

I dislike rules. Sure they can help with writing techniques and help to establish a generic reader base. But just look at the writers that said to hell with what other people think and how I’m ‘suppose’ to write, I’m going to write what I like and how I like to write it.
Down with rules. Go anarchy! Hehe.

I don’t like it when someone says, I don’t think that is what that character would say/do. To me that means that that person has their analysing hat on rather than their reader-being-entertained hat on.
I had a publisher say it recently and I guess it annoyed me a little. Especially when that sentence was deleted without my input and then posted to a website and my name stamped on it. Oh well, when you’re not a big name in writing you have to do what you’re told I guess (I just try not to let them do it all the time).

I know most publishers and editors would disagree with everything I’ve just said. Probably you disagree as well?

Oh and some examples of authors that go against the flow:

Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men, The Road.
Have a read of just the first few pages and you’ll see what I mean.

Annie Proulx, Brokeback Mountain.

JK Rowling, Harry Potter.

P.S. If we didn’t have people like you to mix things up and experiment we probably wouldn’t have the stories we have today and the many different styles and genres of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment