Wednesday 2 November 2011

Commas before a name (or sir, buddy, mate etc) and after a salutation

Long ago I didn't understand the idea of placing a comma before a name, such as: 'What are we doing here, John?'
It's why I tended to easily forget to add it. I still don't really understand why it is needed all the time, however I have come across a few instances where it would be confusing to leave it out. Therefore, I have realised that the comma is somewhat a necessity in these situations.

For example:
'That's a nice pen Dick.'
Be better if you did this:
'That's a nice Pen, Dick.'

I know, Dick, is not a name that is used often these days, but even if the name was Bob or Rod or Phil, it would still sound a little odd.

Check out this post by Rachel:
http://www.grammarerrors.com/punctuation/commas-in-direct-address/

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for referring your readers to my post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your post was a great insight Rachel, so thank you!

      Delete
  2. The use of the second comma is a bit odd in the sentence "I know, Dick, is not a name that..." I would not use the second comma. I would say:

    "I know, Dick is not a name that..."

    I think that use is more natural because a comma can denote a slight pause when reading a sentence.



    ReplyDelete